- Obsolete Date 31-10-2027
- End of support date 31-10-2032
- Recording technology LTO-6 Ultrium
- Archival life 30 years
- Base material Metal Particle
- Product Dimensions (metric) 11.3 x 2.79 x 11.1 cm
- Read speed, media 400 MB/sec
- Tape length 846 m
- Tape width 12.65 mm
- Data tracks 2176
- Product color Purple
- Tape thickness 6.4 um
- Bit density 343 kbits/inch
- Magnetic coercivity 2,800 – 2,900 Oe
- Warranty Limited Lifetime Warranty.
- Quantity per Package 1
- Product Dimensions (imperial) 4.45 x 1.1 x 4.37 in
- Weight 0.6 lb
- Capacity 6.25 TB Compressed 2.5:1 Supported
- Media format Write-once
- Weight 0.29 kg
HPE LTO Ultrium cartridges provide reliable and low cost protection to guard your data against the threat of cyber attacks and ransomware, as well as meeting your demands for reliability when restoring data. They enable businesses to comply with the recommendations of law enforcement agencies around the world to maintain offline copies of their data. Built upon a legacy of nine generations, and with native transfer speeds of up to 1.44 TB/h for LTO-9, there is a platform for every budget. Secure AES-256 encryption provides even higher levels of data security and compliance with the most stringent industry regulations to prevent unauthorized data access. HPE StoreOpen and Linear Tape File System makes using tape as easy, flexible, portable and intuitive as using other removable and shareable media, such as a USB drive. Also, because LTO cartridges at rest require minimal additional power and cooling, they offer a greener, more sustainable long term archival solution for your data.
- Massive increase in capacity – 620% over the native capacity of LTO-6 (18 TB LTO-9 versus 2.5 TB LTO-6)
- Increase in native performance – possible to store 1.44 TB/hr using LTO-9 (full-height only)
- Built-in AES 256-bit encryption (IEEE1619.1) (LTO-5, LTO-6, LTO-7, LTO-8, and LTO-9) – granted FIPS140-2 Level 1 certification.
According to a white paper from ESG, ‘The Economic Benefits of HPE StoreEver as Active Archival Storage’, published in August 2020, LTO tape technology is over 80% less expensive across a 10-year period, than either all-disk or all-cloud solutions for a 1 PB archive growing at 10% per annum.
A 35% increase in the number of tracks and a 3% increase in bit density has permitted a capacity increase from 30 TB for LTO-8 to 45 TB for LTO-9. From 2,176 tracks for LTO-6 to 8,960 tracks for 9th generation HPE LTO-9 Ultrium 45 TB cartridges (assuming 2.5:1 compression) – an improvement of 311%
Open standard technology helps ensure compatibility across product generations and gives you more choice. HPE LTO Ultrium cartridges are available as custom labeled or non-custom labeled.
Highest Capacity and Performance of any Comparable Tape Technology
First time restore ensured with fewer media failures and disrupted backups, regardless of duty cycle or environmental conditions.
Lowest Total Cost of Ownership for Long-term Archiving
Agencies such as the US FBI recommend keeping data offline. This is because tapes that are stored offline are disconnected from the network and are out of reach of sophisticated criminals who use digital networks to strike at companies to encrypt both their primary data and their backups.
Built-in AES 256-bit encryption (LTO-5 to LTO-9) allows you to provide additional security for data stored on tape. With LTO encryption (strengthened by the option to use WORM cartridges), even if tapes were to fall into the wrong hands, your data would be protected from unauthorized access.
Ultra-reliable Storage Medium
Tape is more reliable than enterprise SATA disk, with a bit error rate (BER) of 1×10 to the power of 19 for LTO-8 versus 1×10 to the power of 15 for enterprise SATA HDD’s. That’s a difference in reliability of four orders of magnitude–e.g. tape is 10,000 times more reliable than enterprise SATA HDD
HPE brand qualification test procedures (load/unload, shoeshine, drop testing and environmental stress testing).This ensures maximum reliability for restoring your data.
HPE offers a limited lifetime warranty for HPE LTO Ultrium cartridges, including up to 30 years archival life, if stored at the recommended storage conditions. This ensures businesses can meet the ever-increasing demands of regulation for data retention and archiving.
User write-on labels are no longer included with A and W SKU's.
Standardizing on HPE LTO Ultrium delivers the capacity to meet shrinking backup windows, industry-standard, AES 256-bit encryption (IEEE1619.1), and interchangeable read-write (RW) or WORM media; without extra space or IT resource overhead.
HPE LTO-9 Ultrium data cartridges can write or read data at a blistering native 1.44 TB/hour, storing, encrypting, and protecting up to 45 TB* on a single cartridge, making it ideal for large-scale, 24×7, mission-critical IT environments (*capacity assumes 2.5:1 compression).
HPE brand qualification test procedures (load/unload, shoeshine, drop testing and environmental stress testing) go far beyond what is required for the HPE LTO Ultrium. This ensure utmost reliability for restoring your data.
Superior 'smart grabber' mechanism and mechanical interlock to prevent the leader pin from being pulled inside the tape housing. Sensors detect proper connection and prevent leader loss that would ruin the tape. Simplified tape path to reduce wear, tear, and build-up of debris–crucial in automation.
Estimated data loss over 10 years for 1 Exabyte archive is 1.1 Petabytes for HDD compared to only 7.4 Terabytes for tape.
Reliable Offline Medium that Creates an Air Gap to Keep Data Out of the Reach of Cybercriminals
HPE LTO Ultrium cartridge memory chip delivers faster access time and enhanced media monitoring.
Protect Your Data Flow With HPE StoreEver LTO
Data. Your business depends on it flowing through your whole organization. But what happens if that data flow is stopped, or worse, becomes corrupted through a ransomware attack? HPE StoreEver LTO tape protects your data flow from ransomware.
- HPE StoreEver LTO-7 Ultrium 15000 Internal Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-7 Ultrium 15000 External Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-7 Ultrium 15000 TAA-compliant Internal Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-8 Ultrium 30750 Internal Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-8 Ultrium 30750 External Tape Drive
- HPE LTO-6 Ultr 6250 Tape DR 1U Rackmount
- HPE StoreEver LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Internal Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS External Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 Internal Tape Drive
- HPE StoreEver LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 External Tape Drive
- HPE Ultrium 15000 SAS Int Drv Bdl/TVlite
- HPE Ultrium 15000 SAS Ext Drv Bdl/TVlite
- HPE LTO-6 Ultrium RW Bar Code Label Pack
- HPE MSL3040 Scalable Base Module
- HPE StoreEver MSL3040 Scalable Library Base Module
- HPE StoreEver MSL3040 Scalable Library Expansion Module
- HPE StoreEver LTO-5 Ultrium 3000 SAS Internal Tape Drive/TVlite
- HPE MSL6480 Scalable Base Module
- MSL6480 Scalable Expansion Module
- HPE StoreEver MSL 1/8 G2 0-drive Tape Autoloader
- Transform your Operations with HPE Hybrid Cloud with VMware Cloud foundation solution brief
- Healthcare and life sciences at HPE DISCOVER 2022
- Advance your Hybrid Cloud journey with integrated HPE vSAN Readynodes solution brief
- Create intelligent storage operations with HPE and VMware secure workloads and data solutions solution brief
- How tape can support a GDPR compliant data processing system business white paper
- HPE CloudPhysics Dependency Mapping – Frequently asked questions
- HPE CloudPhysics Security – Frequently asked questions
- HPE LTO Ultrium Storage Supplies
- EXTREME TAPE MEDIA RELIABILITY FOR PROTECTING AND PRESERVING BIG DATA ARCHIVES
- West London College basis future growth on HPE technology
- HPE LTO-7 cartridge initialized as Type M media
- Leveraging Tape to Combat Ransomware with HPE StoreEver
- Flash Storage Technologies Expert Guide: NAND, NVMe-oF, & SSD